Friday, September 25, 2009

This is my fault!

Now, I just want to say that I didn't hurt Luke in anyway shape or form. I just thought the other day, that he hadn't hurt himself in awhile and I thought we had almost made it more than 6 months without taking him to the ER.
Last night Joey was in the bath tub, I was getting ready for work. Kev was grading papers and Luke was just walking around the house being good. He decided to go into the bathroom to talk to Joey. Moments before anything happened, Joey said "Mom, Luke is being so nice to me." Think the boys were going along and I saw no reason to get Luke out of the bathroom, I let things go.
Then all of the sudden Luke started crying. It was the kind of cry that all parents hate. Well I rushed into the bathroom and found Luke on the floor. He said he hurt his foot. Now my boys can do just about anything to themselves and won't cry, but if they hurt a foot or toe they are in tears for the longest time. The foot looks fine, but he says he can't walk on it. He would get a really ornery grin on his face when he said it. So Kev and I both thought he was just sort of milking it a little and was afraid he'd get in trouble. We ask him several times what he did and all we could get out of him was that he hurt his foot. We knew he had stood on the toilet seat, because his shoes prints were on the top.
He went to bed and as long as Kevin carried him, he didn't complain and that was it. Whenever he was suppose to walk, he'd say "I can't walk!" So he slept and no problems. This morning, Kevin woke him up and he couldn't walk. His foot was slightly swollen and he said that it hurt him. So I got Luke and took him to Emergicare. They x-rayed both of his feet. They determined that nothing is broken, but he dislocated his toes and had a lot of swelling. He is suppose to be off his foot as much as possible till maybe Sunday. Today that has been pretty easy. He just says he can't walk. This evening he did walk a little bit. He seems to be hurting some more this evening, since he walked on it. He is sitting on his bean bag chair walking Elmo, resting the foot.
This afternoon when I picked Joey up from school I talked to him about it. Last night, he had no clue what would have happened. Since we had it figured out that he was on the toilet seat, Joey had told us that he just fell off. This afternoon he told me "Well I believe he might have tried to jump off the toilet into the bathtub and missed the bathtub!" Well I believe that this is probably the accurate account.
So here is another week that I get maybe 4 hours of sleep on a Friday. I think these boys are trying to kill me.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Don't you know you never ever think about how long it has been since something bad has happened? As soon as you think it, it is bound to happen! At least that is how it works in my world.

Anyhow, glad to hear that Luke is going to be okay. Did they have to do anything to his toes? Was Joey worried that he would have gotten in trouble if he told you what happened or was he really just not paying attention to what happened?

Goodness Andrea, why do I feel like this story is just the beginning to the rest of our lives raising boys? Injuries, injuries and more injuries.

Okay, I am done playing 20 questions now!

Hope Luke heals quickly and you survive work with the little bit of sleep you got.

Turner Family said...

They did nothing to the toes. They said when the swelling went out that the toes would go back in place.
I think both boys were afraid that they were going to get in big trouble over the whole thing.
I know Beth, I wondered why I even thought about that. Then I was like just don't say it out loud and then maybe it won't happen.