Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Nurses truly are the most kind creatures ever.

I swear these boys are going to be the death of me. So the day I die I hope that someone says it was Joey and Luke's fault. I was helping get Joey ready for school. I said "Luke come on we have to take Joey to school." Here Luke comes crunching on something. I didn't know what it was so I ask him to spit it out and it looked liked a pill. I walked in the bathroom and there were 50-60 Tylenol pills on the floor. I didn't freak out, I just told Luke to spit and I tried to get all white out of his mouth. Then I found 2 half chewed pills. I called Pine Forest and told Kev. I dropped Joey off at school and Luke went to the ER. Kev met us at the ER.

As a nurse, I have seen several things done that I would never want done to my babies. Not the normal things like IV's or blood sticks or shots, I am talking about things that I can't imagine and would never want done to myself. Today I went through it. Luke had to have an NG tube to get charcoal. They wrapped him up and then me and Kev had to help hold him down while two very kind caring nurses put the tube down his nose into his stomach. They started to put the charcoal in and I swear I am not joking there was a hole in the tube. I freaked, if I had been in this nurse's shoes I would never ever had freaked, but as Luke's mom I freaked. She calmed me down just like I would have done to any of the patients or families I deal with. She cut the bad part off and made the faulty tube work.

The next 4 hours we waited in the ER so we could determine if his tylenol levels were high or fine. The next several hours were long. Luke was as good as a 21 month old can be. Kev was right there helping me get through this until he had to get Joey from school. At 1:45 they came in and said that his levels were fine and he could go home.

I know that the nurses just were doing there job, but I know today that I felt just exactly what a nurse can do and I hope I have made my patients and families feel like that.

As far as how he got the Tylenol, well we aren't 100% sure. I just know that the baby lock was on. He climbed on the toilet seat and all I can figure is he reached under it. I figure he must have knocked it down and then got the top off somehow. Because the top was on the floor and so were the Tylenol, but the bottle was upside down in the locked cabinet. We are rearranging now, all drugs are going in the spare bedroom medicine cabinet with a lock and the only things that will be kept in our bathroom are deoderant and toothpaste which will also be locked.

4 comments:

2003beachbunch said...

Oh Andrea! How horrible. I can only imagine how scared you must have been. I tend to freak if it is anything involving our kiddos so I probably wouldn't have been as calm as you. Hope that Luke is feeling better :-)

Anonymous said...

I am glad Luke is okay! Did Joey know what was going on?

I think holding your kids down is horrible. I feel so bad for the little guys.

Turner Family said...

I told Joey that I had to take Luke to the ER because Luke at to much medicine. He wanted to know if his legs were hurting and what color medicine it was.
Then Kev picked Joey up from school and he was just thrilled that he picked him up. He had no idea what was going on.

Anonymous said...

Scary! I'm glad the little man is OK.

AB