Friday, May 16, 2008

Work

Well you all know that when you work night shift that you can get forgotten and if you work part-time and night shift you can really get forgotten.  So this was a big shock for me this morning.  I had a patient that was not doing real well last night.  We have what we call an ACT team that we can call for emergency type events that isn't a code.  At any rate, I felt it was important that we call an ACT on this man because he was having severe chest pain and nothing I was doing was relieving it.  He has multiple health problems and it could have been a wide range of problems causing his chest pain.   Before I left work this morning my boss stopped me and said she was really excited to see me working more shifts this summer.  Then she handed me this note from the house supervisor that she had just got.  Amy, (that is my boss) I just wanted to let you know that I responded to the ACT called on room 410 on 5/15/08.  Your nurse, Andrea did a great job in calling the ACT and was very calm in responding to the situation.  She had already done all she could do from her medication stand point and when I arrived to the room, they (her and Ginger) were in the process of doing an EKG on the patient.  The EKG machine did not work properly, so they had to call for back up.  However, they acted proficient and knowlegable as we all worked together to get this gentleman some help.  I do not have thank you cards to send to them, but would appreciate it if you let them know that I mentioned it to you.  I've already expressed my gratitude to Ginger. Denise  This was also sent to the director of nursing services and she came by this morning to meet me and thank me for my service.  Of course, I was almost on the elevator, but I still talked to her for about 30 seconds. 

No comments: