Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Fort Picken's Beach


The last couple of days we have headed out to the beach at Fort Picken's (our favorite beach, but it has been closed since Ivan), today we took a picnic lunch and let the boys walk around the fort. While we were there Joey said it was boring, but on the way to the beach he said that it was pretty cool that something the old could still be around.
Kevin and Luke looking for a place to picnic
That is one big gun.
Just looking around the fort.
Luke is wearing a shirt he got on vacation size 2-4.
Let's go down this way
He ran around her showing us everything.
Running around in the middle of the Fort.
Luke thought this was so cool, to walk through the tunnel


5 comments:

2003beachbunch said...

pretty cool :-) I never got to go out there when I was living there. Maybe if we make it back down there.....glad y'all had a good time!

Beth said...

I love doing things like this. The first couple pictures you put up looks a lot like Ft. Delaware.

Turner Family said...

Beth, I think that Ft. Delaware and Ft. Pickens are about the same age. Probably Ft. Delaware is a a little older.

Beth said...

Ft. Pickens is actually a little older (15 years) but I believe it was in use for much longer. I looked it all up when I saw your original post.

Ft. Delaware doesn't have any of those nice red bricks in your later pictures. It is all pretty much the white/gray bricks that look like they used to be red.

Regardless, I love being able to go through places like this. Ken always says that this is the stuff our parents made us do when we were little and thought was so boring. Now we are torturing our kids the same way! hehe

Turner Family said...

Fort Pickens was used during the Civil War, it served as a prison to Geronimo and other Indians, and it was also used some during WW II. There were 3 forts all to protect the beloved Pensacola Fort Pickens, Fort Barancas and Fort McCray. The way it was set up, nothing was getting in to the Port of Pensacola.

I loved that stuff when I was a kid and hope my boys will. We learned so much history when we did that stuff.